Author Topic: Can I get some feedback on this pixel art I made?  (Read 592 times)

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
Can I get some feedback on this pixel art I made?
« on: December 30, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »
Now, I know this isn't at all related to the stories but I wanted some feedback as this site's  all about magic, right? I'm planning on starting my own DA account with the settings from the stories here as one of my primary sources for ideas and topics. You may want to open up a pixel art program like Piskel in order to bask in the full glory of this trash. What do you all think?

Original Size:

Enlarged (slightly blurry, sorry):

Here's what each symbol is supposed to mean, from top left to bottom right:
  • Fire: recognizable in many RPG's and other fantastical settings. One of the first spells taught.
  • Lightning: another recognizable spell. Useful for paralyzing enemies or overloading electronics.
  • Ice: almost as recognizable as fire spells. Could be used as a replacement for freezers.
  • Healing: if you don't know what green crosses mean in video games, you've never played enough of them.
  • Dark: typically seen on necromancers and other demonic entities. Purple is a standard, apparently.
  • Technological: at some point in the future, technology might as well be synonymous to magic.
  • Earth/Stone: uncommon, though the most expert magicians in this field can literally move mountains.
  • Mundane: you have no magic. Simple as that.
  • Anti-Magic: chaotic and unappealing. This stuff chews through normal magic like the Blob.
Other notes:
  • The one for tech and mundane look similar because I figured they would originate from the same mundane origin. One origin may focus on technology a lot while the other kind of "plateau's" in tech development.
  • The Dark symbol was supposed to represent ethereal magic like telekinesis, as mentioned in the stories. I figured, though, that a purple coloring more suited the more "evil" magic stuff.
  • I tried to make the Anti-Magic symbol more chaotic looking but you could only do so much with pixels.
Wannabe pixel artist. Video gamer with little patience for anything. Why am I here...?

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get some feedback on this pixel art I made?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
I might make a bigger version of this stuff if I gather enough patience like I did for this piece.
Wannabe pixel artist. Video gamer with little patience for anything. Why am I here...?

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:45:07 PM »
One more I almost forgot to put.

If you can't already tell, I am a fan of Adriksehn:Skipper and I think its setting is a great place to start stories. The atlas and glossary in the story are also a great addition.

So, here's this one's explaination:

If you've played Advance Wars, you probably already know what I was going for in this one.
  • Vestinia, based on Green Earth.
  • Systemia, based on Orange Star.
  • Aristo, based on Blue Moon.
  • Iscarisla, based on Yellow Comet.
  • Syntyche, based on Black Hole. I figured this one would have the black hole-esque symbol because, according to the atlas, its a "gateway" to many other dimensions.
  • Hytypica, Black Hole, but kinda worse. From top left to bottom: based on SCP, based on Last Man Battalion (The Division), and based on Hunters (The Division).

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
  • '...but in the end, he was a bad captain.' -Nog
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 01:03:45 AM »

Green Earths, Red Stars, Blue Moons and yellow comets?
All I can think of is lucky charms :D
[/size]
[/size]I have no idea what advance wars is, so at least half of the reference is lost on me...which also means I'm not sure how any of that would tie to the Ontoverse.
[/size]
-V

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 01:35:38 AM »

Green Earths, Red Stars, Blue Moons and yellow comets?
All I can think of is lucky charms :D
I have no idea what advance wars is, so at least half of the reference is lost on me...which also means I'm not sure how any of that would tie to the Ontoverse.

I should have mentioned: not trying to tie in anything to your universe. Its just that I found your story really engaging even before the erotica. The setting, the context - really unique stuff.  :D
So I figured I would "leech" off of your story, gather some small tidbits from it, and I... made this.

Also, Advance Wars is an old franchise. Remember the Gamebody and the DS handhelds? The franchise was like a precursor to Fire Emblem. Here, this image should give you a vague idea:

The thing that brought me into this game was the sick-ass music. Search it up: at least one of the characters' themes will fit your fancy!

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 01:57:39 AM »
Holy shit, I hate this forum software. Any attempt I make at preserving the font size turns my shit unreadable and size .0000000001 px.

But enough about my crappy webmastering. Still no idea what Advance Wars is. Never had a handheld gaming system.
Probably a bit late for me to get into new games (any games, really) if anyone ever wants to see writing again. :D

I've never really played with pixel art except to make web favicons back in my website days...your panel is a pretty cool start.

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
Holy shit, I hate this forum software. Any attempt I make at preserving the font size turns my shit unreadable and size .0000000001 px.

But enough about my crappy webmastering. Still no idea what Advance Wars is. Never had a handheld gaming system.
Probably a bit late for me to get into new games (any games, really) if anyone ever wants to see writing again. :D 

Ah, shame. You should really google Advance Wars. Turn based, kind of like a chess board. Like I said, some of the character themes are pretty neat and catchy. There is going to be at least one theme that must fit your musical taste.

I've never really played with pixel art except to make web favicons back in my website days...your panel is a pretty cool start.

Thanks! Everyone's gotta start somewhere, right?

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
It's a really fantastic turn-based strategy game with absolutely nothing to do with the forum's theme.

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Ah, shame. You should really google Advance Wars. Turn based, kind of like a chess board. Like I said, some of the character themes are pretty neat and catchy. There is going to be at least one theme that must fit your musical taste.

There's a couple other people here that might be interested, but I'm not a super big VGM guy either.
Essentially, my eyes will glaze over during most video game discussions. It's not a dig on video games at all; I'm just old, and it's a world I've gotten pretty far from in the last 15 years.

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
It's a really fantastic turn-based strategy game with absolutely nothing to do with the forum's theme.

Hmm. What if I turn some of the characters from the stories into something like in Advance Wars...? Not the character images but the tiny, unit animations when they are on the screen. Hmmmmmm..................

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 05:39:12 PM »
I mean...you can do whatever you want.  ;)
I'll just be over here not understanding the context or the connection to whatever game you're talking about.

There's also a really good chance that when I reveal what's going on in the Vestiniad (Prime, Agora, as-yet-unnamed Nyxe colonies), the conflict is going to look totally different from what you're picturing.

Spoilers: terms like "snipers" and "heavy infantry" will probably have about zero to do with it.