Author Topic: Hello everyone! Forum lurker turned User here. Just got a few questions...  (Read 845 times)

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
Hello all! I'd like to contribute some ideas/drafts I have to the site. Before I do so, I usually like to have some really nit picky questions answered before diving head first into the discussions.

So, one: how do I change my avatar/profile picture and how do I know if it is done?

Two: do my posts have to be full on stories and story ideas, art, etc?

And finally: are there any "red flags" I have to avoid? Example: what is offensive here, what topics/ideas should I avoid, etc?...

Thanks for reading! I'll try to see if I have something for the forums later in the week if I can... Also if there is a FAQ page, I'll usually read through it all.
Wannabe pixel artist. Video gamer with little patience for anything. Why am I here...?

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone! Forum lurker turned User here. Just got a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »

Hello all! I'd like to contribute some ideas/drafts I have to the site. Before I do so, I usually like to have some really nit picky questions answered before diving head first into the discussions.

Ok!

So, one: how do I change my avatar/profile picture and how do I know if it is done?[/q]
[/q]
It's under account settings in the Profile tab up top. Modify Profile -> Forum Profile. You'll see the change after you save and refresh a page in the forum you posted in.
Two: do my posts have to be full on stories and story ideas, art, etc?[/q]
[/q]
No. Post whatever. Edit Hell is the place if you want the most critical feedback on anything.
And finally: are there any "red flags" I have to avoid? Example: what is offensive here, what topics/ideas should I avoid, etc?...[/q]
[/q]
Nothing criminal or bordering on criminal, and make sure it fits vaguely within our topics. Otherwise, nothing specific you have to avoid.

Thanks for reading! I'll try to see if I have something for the forums later in the week if I can... Also if there is a FAQ page, I'll usually read through it all.[/q]
[/q]
Don't have one at this time, because there haven't been frequent questions. :D

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »

Alright, thanks! Good to know that I'm not too restricted on what to post.

It's under account settings in the Profile tab up top. Modify Profile -> Forum Profile. You'll see the change after you save and refresh a page in the forum you posted in.

Still not able to see if my profile pic changed, if at all.

I first wanted to change it to something like this size:

then to this size:

But none of those showed up when I refreshed the page on this thread. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time to see changes or are those the wrong sizes for an avatar?
Wannabe pixel artist. Video gamer with little patience for anything. Why am I here...?

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
Did you make sure the radial selection was set to "Upload an avatar"?

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »
Did you make sure the radial selection was set to "Upload an avatar"?

I did set the selection to "upload an avatar," if "specify avatar by URL" is what it is... I'm not seeing an option that explicitly says "upload an avatar."
The option keeps being reset to "no avatar" whenever I save the changes, so I think I gotta make my preferred profile pic even smaller, I guess?

Anyways, I'll bother with the pic later on. Things like that irritates me so much.  >:( 

I actually do have a sort of "prompt" in mind that I want to share to the forums tomorrow. Excited to post it!

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »
It resizes the image, so that's not the issue. When you select "upload", are you plugging in a URL or uploading an image from your computer?

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
It resizes the image, so that's not the issue. When you select "upload", are you plugging in a URL or uploading an image from your computer?

I am uploading from the imgur website. I'm using a direct link, as shown in the example:
Example: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif

What I want: https://i.imgur.com/o9rV2T8.png

Guess imgur doesn't work for this forum, I suppose?

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »
Save it to your computer and try it that way. Hotlinking is generally a mistake anyway.

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
Save it to your computer and try it that way. Hotlinking is generally a mistake anyway.

Tried it. I'm straight up giving up on this profile pic business. What does it want from me!?  :'(