Author Topic: Fiction is fictional  (Read 624 times)

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
  • imagine that confidence is the only thing you lack
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
Fiction is fictional
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »
Just a reminder that writing a situation doesn't mean you want it to happen to someone IRL.

Just a reminder that writing a character that does bad/evil things doesn't make you bad or evil.

Maybe I'm the asshole here. I'm not even sure anymore.

calx86

• Quaestor
    • View Profile
Re: Fiction is fictional
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
You are correct sir.

The whole point of this site and really fiction in general is that the author is creating a fictional world with fictional people.  Outside of publishing illegal material, the author is pretty much free to create whatever world and characters he/she wants.  This world can contain unrealistic situations, good and evil characters, etc.

There are going to be books and stories that contain, murder, rape, torture, etc.  Sometimes these things have to exists in the authors world to create the mood, environment, as well as develop characters.  It is not the writer's obligation to uphold or babysit anyone's moral compass.  Simply put, if it offends you, don't read it.  If it makes you uncomfortable, don't read it.  Just because it is a fictional story that the author wrote, doesn't mean that the author is somehow guilty of the actions his characters commit.  Sometimes the characters we create will be pretty evil and dark as well as warm and fuzzy.  I know that plenty of stuff I've written have contained some pretty dark and brutal scenes.  Just because I wrote stories where clothes tied a girl up and forced her into submission, doesn't mean that I have someone tied up in my basement.

We need to lighten up on here lol.  People are way too easily offended nowadays.

Lurking_Rioter

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:52 PM »
Its been a long while since I visited; I'm out of the loop... what's going on?
I lurk. I mean what else?

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
  • imagine that confidence is the only thing you lack
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:08:38 AM »
I wrote a really nice little piece on censorship, then I hit ctrl+W by accident somehow--destroying it all.

Here's the summary:

• I'm a dick and I'm sorry for insinuating myself into conversations that aren't mine. Again.
  • This site may contain transgressive fictional material that may not be digestible for all parties, and I want to make it clear that it will continue to do so.
  • The U.S., at different times and for stupid reasons like political one-upmanship and moral panics, once censored Voltaire and even CHAUCER.
  • I've seen the tide turning in mainstream culture where storytelling is being hampered and limited over the concern for "the consent of fictional characters" by a few squeaky wheels. Yes, really. Visit Twitter after a Game of Thrones episode sometime.
I just wanted to make it clear that I don't subscribe to this 'new morality' (same as the old morality) in terms of written expression, nor does the site. No one has said or done anything disrespectful in regard to this expectation (except maybe me in my paranoia, reading things that weren't actually there in discussions that weren't actually mine), but I felt I needed to restate our permissiveness in terms of 'power' and 'consent' in the stories here.

(I'm also not calling any of us Voltaire or Chaucer, to be clear--I just wanted to throw in some context of the ludicrous Puritanical side of the U.S. rearing its ugly head from time to time, which has historically been engaged by any political party that believes it can gain power by doing so in the moment.)

I'm sorry that I didn't go about it better, so forgive my earlier tone. It's fine to discuss your limitations about such things, and I promise not to jump into a voluntary discussion like that again.

As long as no one expects that the site limitations will be constrained to meet theirs (and again, no one has even mentioned such a thing, just indulge my paranoia...), we're cool. Everything is cool.

Ugh, I wish I hadn't accidentally lost the first iteration of this post. It was way better. Still, the main points are here.
And I should really be writing more naughty stuff instead of spending my time on this, which could lead to ironic hypocrisy very, very quickly.

tl;dr - there's dirty, nasty stuff here. some of it involves non-consenting parties. Feel and discuss those subjects however you like as long as you've no expectation of changing the content here. On the flipside, your humbled Admin will promise to be more respectful about opening his trap about such things in the future.

Katrice Metaluna

• Praetor
  • Just your average enchanted coyote slave girl
    • View Profile
    • Katrice Metaluna
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »
Is a fantasy, all right. A very powerful one for me, and I am glad there's a couple places where I can express it.

I would have words with anyone thinking I am doing anything wrong. Indulging in this stuff is what's helping to keep me centered. I ain't gonna let it get swallowed up by The Nothing. >:P
Tumblr: http://katricemetaluna.tumblr.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/magickalslave
Fur Affinity: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/magickalslave/

Little surprises around every corner but nothing dangerous...