Author Topic: A couple interactive selections  (Read 4914 times)

Semtech

• Tribune
    • View Profile
Re: A couple interactive selections
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »
I don't know if it's been brought up before but why use wiki for the interactive stories? Why not use a script built just for that? I'm sure it would make everything much easier than trying to force wiki to do something it was never intended to do. Heck I'm sure coding such a thing wouldn't be that much of a challenge either especially if you use pre built wrappers for more common tasks like database communications and user management.

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Can you do it?

TheCanadian

• Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 04:07:54 AM »
I think we're pretty invested; alot of work has gone into the wiki and it's in a very usable state nowadays filled with content.

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
  • imagine that confidence is the only thing you lack
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
I'd much rather use the Addventure software but I could never get it to work right under modern PHP. I'm not good enough with code to program what's needed to make it work I realize it must be a simple script but the fact is the coding knowledge is just not there for me I can run server level stuff to keep a site running but this is all monkey see monkey do stuff it's not the same as object oriented programming which I know nothing about. Sorry for the weird syntax posting from a phone.

We're still at the point where if we made something like that I wouldn't have an issue migrating the chapters over there's only about 100 or so and it wouldn't take that long however if people actually started posting and this went on for a couple of months then it would be difficult to switch to something else. I would still be willing to switch to a better software but I have no way of getting there the coding knowledge is just not in me.  if you have suggestions on how to make this happen, I'm willing to listen.

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
Sem, I know it's not totally fire-and-forget like the ADDventure software would be, but I've been trying to improve the experience with backlinks and stuff. Is that just amking it more confusing, or is it at least better than it was when we started?

The best thing I can do from a mitigation standpoint is to just make the instructions clearer and simpler through templates...but I can totally understand why it's too much of a hassle for casual users.

Also, coding people: I have a budget for this. I can't pay substantially for something like this to be created, but I can do something on the range of a couple hundred depending on what kind of work you think it would take. ALSO: I can do the facade/design details if someone else knows the structure in terms of PHP, databasing calls and executing scripts.

My friend BalloonGirl actually took a crack at designing something like this, but I could never get it to talk to PHP on my server. It might be MOSTLY working already, but it's beyond my knowledge and I can't figure out why I'm getting a 500 error. If anyone interested knows what any of that shit means, get a hold of me.

I would love love love for the interactive to behave more like addventure, but I am not smart enough. If someone else IS, we can pay you...

I'm also willing to talk art/story trade if you prefer. 

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
I'd be interested in Moderating if Darkside can't remember his password or utilize the forgot password tool.

More is better; I've been in the habit of modding anyone in the wiki who has contributed words or $ to the site.
You're likely already modded, but I'll check and let you know for sure.

All other wiki users: if you are in the user group "goodies," you're allowed to post. If you're in "goodies" and "bureaucrats", then you're a mod with the power to add other people to the "goodies" group, I believe. Not fantastic with the ins and outs still!

JayHawk303

• Praetor
  • Clothes are taking over my life
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »
Ah, nice. I'll have to check that out. I haven't logged in to the wiki page in a while so I'll  let you know what I find out on my next login.
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO91OLeL051ZioLdrgw63wQ/videos

My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/jonashen

My Deviantart: https://jayhawk303.deviantart.com/

My Kik Username (free text chat if you ever wanna hit me up!): JayHawk303

Semtech

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, pretty much always busy with a 50 hour work week.

Darkside, I have the knowledge and resources to do it (from scratch) but I lack the time. I haven't done any coding in about a year so it would take awhile just to get reacquainted with it.

Vest, the wiki has been getting better, however to me it seems like there will always be a struggle as there will also be a human element where there should not be one. It's like painting a maze on the ground and telling everyone that they can't cross the lines verses actually putting up walls that people are physically unable to cross. I'm not saying anyone will be malicious, just that there is more potential for mistakes.

As I said before I don't have a lot of time available to code from scratch, however if you have something basic already made or have found something you like, I may be able to tweak it for you to either fix it or to make it function more the way you want. Design however is out of my realm, I don't have an eye for looks. I'm functionality not form.

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
I didn't ask to be a smartass. I asked because the reason we don't do it that way is that no one knows how.

Semtech

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:17 PM »
I didn't think you were asking to be a smart ass. I thought you were asking because you generally wanted to know if I was capable and you liked the idea. If you'd like I have some time this weekend, I could do some digging and see if ADDventure is something I could get to work on the newer versions of PHP and SQL.

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
Go for it

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 08:43:17 PM »
REALLY?

Sem, I'd seriously pay you (or trade for art) if you could get the package I have to work under modern sql. I don't really know what needs to change, only that it doesn't load up in the shape it's currently in. Shoot me a private note and I'll give you a link to the package on my server so you can grab it and take a look.

It worked for me a couple of years ago (like last time was maybe 2010?), but the most recent big version change killed it.

Semtech

• Tribune
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »
I sent you a pm, Vest. At least I think I did. Went to check and it doesn't appear to be in my sent items.

Darkside007

• Global Moderator
  • Praetor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
Make sure you have the option enabled in your message options (sometimes it is disabled by default.)

Vestiphile

• Inspector General
  • Chief Custodian
  • Consul
    • View Profile
    • MagicMystique.com
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »
Yup, replied!

Thanks for taking a look.